The British Appaloosa Society

  Welcome to The British Appaloosa Society

Registrations: FAQs


  1. What is the Law regarding Equine Passports?

    ALL Equine within the EU MUST hold a valid passport. It is illegal to sell a horse without a passport.  All Passport Issuing Organisations (PIOS) are compelled to work to EU operating standards. Please take time to read the Defra Directives below:-

    Notification of DEFRA Minimum Operating Standards for UK approved passport issuing organisations


    Please be advised of the following, effective 1st February 2014, to which all PIOs must adhere:


    Organisations are expected to report any offence under or breach of the Regulations cited to the horse passports enforcement authority for the area that the organisation is based so that they can decide whether enforcement action is needed. This includes where an organisation has received information suggesting that any of the following may have occurred:

    • Where a passport is applied for outside of the statutory time limit (6 months of age or before 31 December in the year of birth, whichever is the later). This is with the exception of rescued equines and those who have purchased a horse without a passport.

    • Where a passport is applied for when one already exists for that animal.

    • Failure of a new owner to update owner details within 30 days. This applies regardless of the length of time the person was in possession of the equine. This includes notification of Loan or Lease (a passport is NOT a deed of ownership)

    • Notification of the death of the animal.

    • Failure of an owner to return a passport for updating within 6 weeks of notification that the passport does not meet the current legal requirements.

    • Signs of unofficial changes to passport details, tampering or fraud

    Any BApS issued passports that do not contain Section IX should be returned to the Registrar as soon as possible: without this update the passport is no longer valid. There is a Fee for this update. All such passports will be returned with Section IX signed and stamped to declare the equine is not intended for human consumption.


    All Duplicate and Replacement passports will have Section IX signed and stamped as the equine not intended for human consumption, as will all passports where a loss of ownership history/continuity is apparent.


    In all cases where a passport is updated or issued for an equine whose original transponder (applicable to equidae identified after 30.6.2009) has failed will be signed and stamped in Section IX by the organisation to declare the equine as not intended for human consumption.


  2. What Photographs are required to Register a pure or partbred with BApS ?

    You need to submit 6 good quality, clear photographs, taken in good light that will be required to fit into an A5 passport page. Standard sized pictures 6 x4 inches or 5x7 inches are fine but remember that I need to be able to fit 2 to one A5 page

    We will also accept GOOD quality computer printed photographs but they must be on a superior style glossy photographic card and in no way burred, stretched or distorted

    Two shots from each side of the animal must include the ears and all four feet. Do not crop ears or feet off please

    One shot of the full rear of the animal including the feet

    One shot from the front of the animal including feet, head and ears

    Take your time and get the best pictures you can. These will make up your horse passport and will stay with it for all its life:/

    Getting it right first time means prompt service and less delay to you!

  3. What form do I need to Transfer Ownership into my name? This applies to all BApS Registered horses, including the non appaloosa ID passports....

    • If you have bought the horse from the person named as owner inside the passport, then you need the standard "Transfer of Ownership" form which must be signed and dated by the seller and the buyer before being sent to the registrar with the Horse Passport
    • If you have bought the horse from someone other than the recorded owner in the passport (eg a dealer or horse sale etc) and you are not able to retrace steps to find the recorded owner, then you need the "Exceptional Transfer of Ownership" form which must be completed with an explanation of where you bought the horse and any relevant proof of purchase (ie a bill or sale/purchase receipt) and then sent to the Registrar with the Horse Passport
      Both Forms Can be downloaded from the Forms/Fees page
  4. What are the Rules on Late Registrations ?

    The Law requires all foals to be Registered by the 31st December of the year they are born or by 6 months old, whichever is later.

    Appaloosa Registrations:

    This Society has always been lenient within reason. We do charge a late fee after the above period in an attempt to discourage the practice.

    From 1st January 2013 we will continue the same leeway to breeders but only up until the 31st December of the year following the birth of the animal. Any new registration application received after this cut off will also be required to verify breeding by DNA parentage test.

    (example: Animal born in 2012 if not registered by 31/12/2013 will also require DNA proof of parentage)

    Any Appaloosa that leaves the breeder without  a passport will also be required to prove breeding in the same way before a passport will be issued

  5. How do I obtain a Duplicate Passport?

    If your Horse Passport has been lost or destroyed then you can apply for a duplicate passport. The "Duplicate Passport" Form is available to download from the website.

    You must submit 6 new photographs of the horse, similar to ones required for all new registrations.

    If your horse is microchipped you must get your vet to scan the animal to confirm this and sign the appropriate section within the silhouette before completing the descriptive part

    If your horse was not microchipped then this must now be done in order to be issued with a duplicate passport

  6. Can I Register a foal from a BApS Appaloosa x Coloured?

    There has been a rule amendment at the 2015 AGM! Whilst agreeing that the society will not register any animal showing a coloured coat pattern, we accept that progeny from an appaloosa x coloured may also be solid or show absolutely no evidence of the coloured gene so the rule has been amended to allow registration of animals that show no evidence of a coloured coat pattern. final decision on eligibility remains with BApS council. The rule now reads:

    To be eligible for the Part Bred Register, a Mare/Filly and Gelding or a Colt under the age of 4 years is required to

    have at least one grandparent registered as an Appaloosa. Animals with Skewbald or Piebald markings or the progeny of Albinos will NOT be eligible for registration

  7. Can I register a foal with two BApS Main Registered parents if the sire is not Licenced?

    The simple answer in this case is that progeny would have to be placed into the E.U Register

    (This register is for horses that do not fully meet current registration requirements but has been put in place to comply with EU Ruling 76/98.  EU animals cannot be shown in any BApS affiliated classes

    Rule 155:

    The sire must hold a stallion license issued by the Society and be registered in the Primary/Graded Main or Import Registers of the Society

    Progeny resulting from a covering by a stallion prior to him obtaining a British Appaloosa Society Stallion License

    are only eligible for Main registration providing they were either:

    a) Conceived in the same year as the license was obtained providing the colt was 24 months of age at the time of covering. If not, the progeny will be entered into the EU Register. or

    b) Proof of parentage by DNA testing of progeny, Sire and Dam.

    Progeny conceived in previous years not meeting Rule 156 (b) may only be entered into the EU register.

  8. Can I register a horse with no known breeding?

    Our rules include an 'exemption clause' which allows for the registration of horses with a clearly visible coat pattern and appaloosa characteristics (ie sclera, striped hooves, mottled skin) into our part bred registers.  Each application would be considered individually and must be of riding horse type (ie not heavy legged) and be over 14.2hh at maturity.  Any borderline case may be asked to provide veterinary evidence of height if required.  Acceptance is at the sole discretion of Council

  9. Can I change the Photographs in my BApS Passport?

    You cannot remove the original photographs from your passport BUT we now offer the facility to add two additional photographs if you require it.  This is useful if your appaloosa has drastically changed its coat pattern and you would like current photographs adding to the passport. To maintain integrity, we would require true likeness confirmation, just as you would expect for a human passport.

    The Form is self explanitory and can be downloaded from the Forms/Fees page

  10. Can I get my ApHCUK Passport Overstamped by BApS

    If your horse has both parents registered with BApS then the easy answer is Yes so long as there has been proof of breeding submitted to the society by way of a Stallion Return in the year of service. In all other cases then you may be asked to prove parentage by DNA but each case is considered on it's own merits

    If you wish to discuss the possiblity of overstamping then contact the Registrar

  11. Can I get any other passport over stamped by BApS?

    If you horse is already registered with another Passport Issuer and it still fits the criteria of our Exemption Clause on 'colour evidence' then we may still be able to over stamp your passport and give your horse British Appaloosa Society part bred status.

    Each application is considered individually so if in any doubt then please contact the Registrar to discuss possibilities.

    We can only include breeding in our passports if it has been or is able to be verified

  12. What if I have a Complaint about a registration procedure?

    We work hard to provide a good service to our members, breeders and owners, and the public, but occasionally you may think that we have got something wrong, and we want to be able to deal with any complaints as quickly as possible to resolve any issues

    Our registration Complaints procedure is available on our Forms/Fees page

Back to top